The beautiful thing about depression is the appreciation of a great day. I feel in general there’s so much focus on negativity – in the news, in our health, in our shortfalls – that we often forget to be thankful for the blessings we have in life. The last few days have been great, and coming from such a rough week prior, I find myself so unbelievably thankful to be feeling “normal” again. It may very well be temporary, another downer may be right around the corner, but for now I’m loving life and that’s what I’ll spend my time focusing on.
Here are five things I’m thankful for today:
- Love. I know it sounds cheesy, but I’m thankful for the unwavering love I receive from my spouse, the innocent and absolute love from my children, the gentle and concerned love from my mom. I am also thankful for the love I am able to share with them, particularly at this time.
- Sunshine. And rainbows. There was a shower this morning on the drive to work and, while in traffic, I noticed a double rainbow. It was a great reminder that after the rain passes, sunny days follow. According to some, a double rainbow is symbolic of transformation. The first arc represents the material world, and the second arc signifies the spiritual realm.
- Fresh cold-pressed juice. I read on a Pinterest meme that apple, carrot, spinach and beet is a great combination for fighting depression. I like to throw a piece of ginger in there to spice things up.
- Memories of Mexico. I’m wearing my favourite amber pendant that we bought from a street vendor in Mexico. Amber is said to balance the mind and release negative energy.
- My Good Vibes playlist. ‘Nuff said!